Our Custom Area feature is designed to help you closely monitor all marine activity and capture all the "action" on territories you define!
There is no limit as to what you can mark on the Live Map as your Areas. You can create combined sea and land Areas, monitor lakes, canals - anything you can think of. If you are a Basic User you can create a single Custom Area; if you are looking to create more and get even more details about your areas, you may consider purchasing the Custom Areas Service which provides you with 1000 Custom Areas and full access to the Custom Area Info Window.
This article contains information about:
Create / Manage your Custom Areas
To create a new custom area, you can start by clicking on the Create New Area button. Once you click on Create New Area, the relevant options and a map of the world will be displayed.
Using the options from the left-side menu, you can select:
- the shape of your area (circle, polygon, line or a single point)
- the radius around the center (available to circular or linear areas only)
Note: If you select to create a point or a circular area, you can also define the center coordinate using the relevant fields.
You can also use the Clear Area button to start drawing from scratch or the Show Areas button to view any other areas you may have created on the map - a nice way to avoid creating duplicate areas!
Thus, to create a new Custom Area:
- Drag the map around, zoom in or out to get to the desired part of it.
- Select type to draw using the relevant options (Point, Circle, Polygon, Line)
- If you have selected to draw a Point or a Circle, left-click on the map to draw your area.
- Use the Radius option to define the size of circular areas.
- If you have selected to draw a Polygon or a Line every time you click on the map a new point will be added so that you can create the desired shape.
- To create a polygonal area you must return to your starting point.
- To create a linear area click on the last-created point. You can use the Radius option to define the width of your linear area.
Once you have finished drawing your area of choice, use the available fields to:
- Name your Area (Area Name - mandatory field)
- Add a Description to your Area (Area Description)
- Select the color of your Area (Area Color)
Then, you can click on the Submit button to save your Area! Clicking on the Cancel button will result in the drawing map and all the relevant options retracting without saving.
Note II: You can only create one Custom Area at a time. If you want to create multiple areas, you should repeat the above-mentioned process accordingly.
Now, all your created areas will be listed below the Create New Custom Area option. Areas are presented in rows with each row representing an area you have created. The icon next to each area's name lets you know of its shape and color in no time!
Using the buttons at the right end of each row, you can (from left to right):
- View the corresponding Area on the MarineTraffic Live Map
- Edit the corresponding Area
- Delete the corresponding Area
Finally, you can click on the Area Name column header to order your Areas by name. Click twice to reverse this order.
Display your Custom Areas on the Live Map
Getting your Custom Areas displayed on the Live Map is just one click away at any time!
You can display your custom areas on the Live Map through the Layers toolbar under Area of Interest.
Note: The pen icon besides the My Custom Areas option also serves as an active quick-link. Click on it to instantly get to the My Custom Areas option under the My Account Section.
Custom Area Info Window
Clicking on your Custom Area on the Live Map will automatically display the custom area info window which provides some information regarding the area.
Inside the info window, you will find:
- Custom Area Icon: this icon corresponds to the type of custom area (line, point, polygon)
- Type: this indicates the area type which in this case is Custom Area
- Total Surface: Area surface in square km
- Vessels currently in area: indicated the number of vessels in area
- Edit Area: Clicking on this option redirects you to the Custom Area page where it automatically allows you to edit the custom area.
Note: Full access to Total Surface and Vessels currently in area information is available through the Custom Area service.