In computer programming, an Application Programming Interface (API) is a set of routines, protocols and tools for building software applications. The way each application will be implemented is completely independent of the respective API's definitions of its functionalities - thus, API definitions and implementations can vary without compromising each other. Under this perspective, an efficient API service can provide the programmer on the other end with all the necessary components in order to build useful and powerful applications.
MarineTraffic APIs make use of the extensive data which is continuously being stored in the MarineTraffic central database and focus on serving the purpose of making the creation of awesome applications easier or help you enrich your analysis with updated data-feeds.
In fact, due to the vast extent of the available data, MarineTraffic APIs are categorised to assist you in finding those that suit your needs better and enable you to create personalised applications in the most simple and cost-effective way possible. The available categories are:
- Vessels Positions - use services of this category to retrieve precise positional data about any vessel that transmits AIS information.
- Events - get notified about various vessel events such as Port Calls or other status changes in near real-time.
- Vessels Data - retrieve technical information about any vessel along with ownership details or request the most popular photo to include it in your app.
- Voyage Info - get voyage-related information for a vessel/fleet of choice including reported and calculated ETAs or the expected arrivals at any port.
- Power User - use such services to effectively manage certain aspects of your MarineTraffic account.
Note: Even non-registered MarineTraffic users can inquire about our API services. Also, API services are completely stand-alone services which are not affected, by any means, by the user's subscription plan. For example, a Basic plan user (free) can request an API Key for any API service with no limitations to the available options!
You can personalise each API service by setting the parameters of the type of responses you wish to be receiving as well as customising various aspects regarding the functionalities of it.