What is the Online Solution Visibility For Containers?
The In-Transit Visibility For Containers Online solution was created to help you to have an overview when tracking your container shipments and give you real-time information about the shipment's current status and the ETAs.
- How to add a shipment
- Charge type options and how you can subscribe to this solution
How to add a shipment
After logging in to your MarineTraffic account, you will be directed to our LiveMap.
In order to open our Visibility For Containers Solution page, you simply click on your Account button to see the options for your account and click on Add Shipment, as shown below:
Or you can click here and then “ADD SHIPMENT”:
Then, in order to complete your shipment addition, you need to select the Document Type, which can be Bill of Lading, Booking Reference, or Container Number; the Number of the Document Type selected:
About the field Shipping Line, for Container Numbers, if no Carrier information is added, the system will consider this as AUTO.
TIP: Auto-detect works well in Carrier owned containers, but will not work well in third-party-owned or leased containers, and might lead to a return of tracking information of a past shipment that used the specific container.
Also, you can add tags, for your own reference to each shipment. In case you want to add more than one tag, you can separate them by using a comma.
Then, you can confirm the details of the shipment that is being added, and click on Confirm:
Your Shipment has just been added:
At this time, our system will request to wait around 05 to 10 minutes to fetch the shipment from Carrier.
Add another shipment
You can add another shipment(s) either by clicking on " ADD ANOTHER SHIPMENT" at the time you have just added your first one:
Or by going to https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/containers/shipments or to My Account and click on “My Shipments” and then, "ADD A NEW SHIPMENT":
Then, you can follow the steps presented here.
Overview of your shipment
You can have an overview of all your shipments added, by going to your Shipments page by going to https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/containers/shipments or to My Account and click on “My Shipments”:
Then, you will be directed to your shipments page:
You can find any of your shipments by typing the requested information on the filters presented. They are personalized and will only show options according to what you have added to your shipments.
The available filters are:
- Number: this is based on the content of the Number column of the data grid. At least 3 characters are required and the filtering is auto-applied to the Datagrid;
- Departure Port: this is based on the name of the departure port included in the Departure column of the Datagrid. A drop-down list will be shown including only ports that are available in your shipments;
- Arrival Port: this is based on the name of the arrival port included in the Arrival column of the Datagrid. A drop-down list will be shown including only ports that are available in your shipments;
- Arrival: this is based on the arrival timestamp included in the Arrival column of the Datagrid, including ETA and ATA timestamps. A modal will open giving you some standard date range options, as well as a custom definition of the range of interest;
- Shipment Status: you can filter based on the current status column of your shipment;
- Tags: you can filter based on the name of the content of the tags column of the Datagrid. A drop-down list includes only tags that are available on your shipments;
- Tracking Status: you can use this filter based on all possible tracking statuses. A drop-down list includes all possible selections.
Charge type options and how you can subscribe to this solution
The solution supports both a pay-as-you-go model with credits and a period-based subscription with an annual commitment of shipments.
In both charging models, the charging unit is per shipment and covers tracking the shipment until completion. When subscribing to a shipment with a bill of lading or booking a reference transport document number, you will be charged for one shipment even if this document number refers to more than one container. When subscribing based on a container number, each container number will be considered a separate shipment and charged separately.
Credits-based (pay-as-you-go) charging
In the credits-based charging model (pay-as-you-go), each shipment is charged 100 MarineTraffic credits, pre-charged upon subscription of a shipment, but will be refunded if the system has finished all possible retries and is unable to successfully fetch track & trace information.
You can purchase MarineTraffic credits here.
Period-based (subscription) charging
If you are using the subscription charging model (period-based), then the shipment will be pre-charged against your annual subscription limit upon subscription and deducted if track & trace information is not successfully retrieved.
In order to have a subscription and pay per usage, more information can be found here.
NOTE: If track & trace information is available but ETA to the final destination cannot be calculated for other reasons (e.g. a vessel's next port does not match the expected one), charging will be applied.